="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 512 512">

Eastern Region

In the eastern region of Ontario, four universities offer enrolment for non-degree seeking students in graduate-level qualitative methods courses in the health sciences: Carleton University in Ottawa, Queen’s University in Kingston, Trent University in Peterborough, and the University of Ottawa.


Carleton University

School of Social Work


Queen’s University

Kinesiology and Health Studies Program

School of Rehabilitation Therapy


Trent University

Psychology Program


University of Ottawa

School of Nursing


How to take a course

Carleton University

Students who wish to take a course without enrolling in a degree program at Carleton may submit an application to study as a special student. Applications may be submitted at any time throughout the year, but sufficient processing time should be allowed prior to registration dates. All graduate courses require the permission of the department and/or individual instructor. More information is available at: https://carleton.ca/registrar/non-degree-students/special-students/

To apply, go to https://forms.carleton.ca/registrar/special-student-application-to-register/


Queens University

Non-degree seeking students who wish to take graduate level courses can apply as special students.  Applications are reviewed by the relevant graduate program and approved by the School of Graduate Studies. More information is available at: http://www.queensu.ca/calendars/sgsr/Special_Student.html.


Trent University

Non-degree seeking students who wish to take graduate-level courses can apply as special graduate students. Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements of a program or be deemed acceptable by the Program Director.  Official transcripts and a rationale for the special student request for admission must be submitted; reference letters or plans of study are not required.  Permission must be granted by both the Graduate Program Director and the course instructor. Course fees are set annually, and payment is due at the time of registration. More information and application forms are available at the School of Graduate Studies website: https://www.trentu.ca/graduatestudies/contact.


University of Ottawa

Students who are not seeking a degree at the University of Ottawa may enrol in graduate courses with the approval of the academic unit. They must comply with regulations pertaining to the courses for which they wish to enrol, including attendance and grade requirements. More information is available at: http://www.uottawa.ca/graduate-studies/programs-admission.


Share This Book